Saturday, July 25, 2009

Absence Of Nature- Presence Of Greed




The image I chose is of a construction site. It is stark and lacks anything natural. As I look at this image I imagine what might have been there years ago or what could have been there in place of man made materials. The transformation of my image consists of making aware the consequences of construction on the environment. I collaged images of trees cut down, destroyed and torn up plant life. In the back ground the towers shine, dollar signs flicker in the window. Through the dollar signs I placed silhouette images of tree branches to represent the memory of what might once have existed there. A billboard looms in the background. The statement is disconcerting but if forest and land is continually viewed as opportunity for building and earning money, what will our children’s children have left to call a natural environment?

Original image: New York Magazine, July 2009, pg 27. Image: aptsandlofts.com

Jordan Lund