Saturday, July 30, 2011

Nobadeer Beach- 4th of July



Original image from: The Inquirer and Mirror (Local Nantucket newspaper)
Artists: Nicole Harnishfeger
Title of artwork: Nobadeer Beach on the 4th
Article by: Jason Graziadei
http://www.ack.net/nobadeerjulyfourth070411.html


This Fourth of July, I went to Nobadeer beach on the island of Nantucket. There were thousands of young people on the beach enjoying the sun and having a good time. Unfortunately, to my amazement, the majority of beach goers were throwing their trash (beer cans, plastic cups and other waist) on the beautiful sands of the north shore. Although I did see a few people with trash bags, most carelessly tossed their garbage on the ground. The following morning, I found an image of the beach in the local paper (The Inquirer and Mirror) and decided to remix this image for class.

So, I created an image that captures the beauty of the beach and emphasizes the importance of recycling. In my remixed image, I covered the trash on the beach with linear photos of sand. In the background, I created a horizon line and seashore that culminates in a hillside covered in dark green foliage. In the foreground, I created a recycling barrel out of a LancĂ´me lotion bottle and placed an over-sized arm that places trash in the shiny silver container.


Robin