Saturday, July 30, 2011

The calm before the storm


The original image I found was meaningful to me because I love the ocean and it reminds me of my trip to Australia and how beautiful the ocean was. What was problematic for me was the ship in the serene photo of this beautiful picture of an ocean. I decided that I wanted to replace the ship with an animal from the ocean (which I found and used a whale) and created waves with various colors that represent the colors of the ocean. I covered up the slogan with some fluffy clouds to take away the cruise ship advertisement. It may be a beautiful ship but the damage and destruction to a place like this by humans i can only imagine is catastrophic.

The message is almost (in my mind) if we stay out of places like this they will stay beautiful. I feel as if with the cruise liner moving in with its gas and people aboard, how long could a place like this stay pristine? A tidal wave of destruction is what I see with this cruise ship moving into the distance. My image is a bit more beautiful with natural elements of the ocean, rather then a large piece of metal.

Original Image: 2010-2011, 'Exotics' Princess Cruises, p. 78

Ashley