Sunday, July 20, 2014

Brooklyn





My digital art remix is focused on a New Yorker comic strip from February 2014. The comic portrays a man surrendering to two men with guns, as he is accused of being a Hatfield or McCoy. In fact, he is merely just a hipster from Brooklyn. Though I did find the joke funny, I’m not a huge fan of gun images in the media. Though the magazine is intended for adults, I don’t think gun violence should be mocked, even at the expense of a joke. I decided to transform the comic from something of violence into something of beauty and and music. I filled it in with color to breathe life into the comic, and found clippings of guitars, a set of headphones, and a microphone to insert real-life musical tools into the hands of the men to form a band. I drew musical notes and wrote that the band, The Brooklyn Trio, is performing an outdoor show in August. I am really happy with the transformation from violence to music and taking guns out of the equation.

By Caroline Tobey

Original Image Citation: Brooklyn Comic By Joedator,  New Yorker, February 2014,  p.6