Saturday, July 24, 2010

Nature Cycle






My original image stood out to me because of two contrasting images within the photo. The first aspect that stood out was a man dressed in cycling clothes with his bicycle & the second aspect was the environment he was surrounded by. Some people may view these two images as related; however, the man in the photo did not look like he belonged in that environment, and that is what bothered me about the image.
Ideally, the man with his bicycle would feel "at one" with nature and he would be comfortable in his surroundings. In the original photo, my impression is that the man is intimidated by the environment and is therefore detached from it. In order to remedy the initial photo, I added colors & materials to the image that would make it seem like a flourishing environment that is welcoming & a place the man would be eager to explore. I also incorporated a bridge from the man down into the pit of the mountain to unite the two.
I completed my new image by cutting the outline of the man out of the image and making him more abstract to better fit into his new surroundings.

Original Image from Competitor Magazine, July 2010

Carolyn Hubbard