Thursday, August 12, 2010

Digital Remix #2


I chose to remix this image for a few reasons. I looked at the advertisement and all I saw was a surplus of road signs (undoubtedly a main focal point for the advertiser), and it bothered me when I thought about how it is so easy for people to ignore the natural things in the environment that are beautiful, and instead focus on man-made objects and signs that tell us what to do and where to go.
Also, the fact that it is a car ad made me think of how I use my own vehicle. I tend to use my car as a way to get from one place to another, but also as an escape when I need one. I decided to remove all of the road signs from the image and instead cover them with flowers, and I made the vehicle less traditional by using written words to symbolize the thoughts someone may have while driving alone in their car.
Overall, I wanted the image to represent an escape into an idealized world where nature is overpowering & beautiful, & there are no set directions or signs to lead anyone in a particular direction, but rather each person has the freedom to choose their own destination.
Carolyn Hubbard

Original Image Citation:
Better Homes & Gardens Magazine, December 2008, Back Cover Page,
Toyota 2008 Hilander Ad, © 2007 Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A. Inc.