Sunday, July 27, 2008

Dusty to Lush



I chose this image because I had a visceral reaction to it. An exposed Egyptian ruin with its bone like structure breaking down before our eyes. I imagined the experience of being in the hot sun looking on at this eroding beauty; the dust in the dry air collecting on every surface. This kind of exposure to the elements is both frightening and exhiliarating. An extreme climate always reminds me of my limits.
I simply wanted to add some life; some green. The lushness might shield us from the reality that the forces of nature are stronger than we are. We can look on from a safe distance while the overgrowth provides us with a sense of protection. However, in and of itself the greenery can grow out of control and become unruly, thereby shaking our sense of security, again.
Is it me or do you hear the sound of a lawn-mower starting up?

Source: Unknown

-Raye