Saturday, August 2, 2014

This is a School Garden



This is a School Garden

I chose this picture of a beautiful flower garden that happened to have the words Growing Up on it, it was accompanied by an article about how to create vertical flower gardens. This made me think about how my childhood experience was growing up outdoors and playing in the woods and exploring the plants and flowers and bugs in my mother’s flower and vegetable gardens. I was imagining how to create an outdoor classroom where young children can explore and learn about the plants and animals that live in their yards and how to care for them and protect them. I imagine part of the outdoor classroom as a flower garden where monarch butterflies can grow and feed on the plants. The children can observe and learn about the process of growth in many ways in their school garden.

By Laura Perry

Original Image Citation: Fine Gardening magazine, February 2007, page 56