Friday, July 25, 2014

Which way are we headed?



I was originally drawn to this photograph of the sunflowers at sunset because it was very beautiful. I also felt personally connected to it as it was taken in my home state of Vermont, the place where my immediate surroundings taught me most everything I know about environmentalism and instilled in me a love of nature. However, the longer I looked at the image, the more I felt that the light and coloring of the photograph, while beautiful, also gave it somewhat of an ominous feel. I also found the way the sunflowers are all facing in one direction away from the photographer to be very striking.

By using the dramatic lighting, the sunflowers' positioning, and adding several layered cityscapes, I changed the image from an idyllic, rural, and natural vista to a view into our future. If we do not learn to appreciate and cherish our natural environments, is this what our future generations could be looking at? Which version is more important to us?


By Kestrel Dunn

Original image citation: "South Hero" by David Copley. Vermont Life, Summer '14, p. 9.