Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Culturist-Nature Lover-Optomist

         In the original image I choose for this remix, I was searching for something that caught my eye, and sparked a want for change in it. I eventually choose an advertisement for flavored sparkling water from Cooking Light Magazine. I wanted an image that also had a fair amount of empty space in it also. This ad tells the viewer "The fruit essence says you're a culturist, the spring water says you're a nature loverist, the bubbles say you're an optimist." These general statements about a person's beliefs based on their water choice irked me. So, I decided to keep the statements, but cover up the qualities of the water, and add images that indicated these qualities more truthfully. For "culturist" I added national geographic instagram photos; for nature lover, I used photos of fresh fruit and a baby seal; and for optimist, I used a fanciful cartoon-like image of a whale in the air and a watering can pouring bubbles. To me, these images more honestly represent the statements this advertisement was making. I also made a point to cover up the water bottle being advertised!

Remixed by Annie

(Original image: Cooking Light Magazine, Deer Park Sparkling Water, August 2013, p 67)