Saturday, July 24, 2010

Bee Committed...The Plight of the Bumblebee



I saw a honeybee in my parent's backyard a few weeks ago and swatted at it thinking it was a hornet. My three year old niece screamed "Aunty No! Honeybees are endangered!" Shocked that she knew what the word "endangered" meant and that honeybees were in peril, I asked her more. She explained she learned about them at school and how it was important to save them. After my fascinating conversation with my favorite 3 year old naturalist, I was curious to find out more. How does she know more about this than I do? For some particular reason unknown to scientists, the population of honeybees has plummeted. People may not realize this "pest" is responsible for fertilizing 1/3 of the food we eat. For my remix image I used the honeycomb and turned it into the "HoneyBee Haven" to represent the importance of giving safe places for honeybees to live and rebuild their population. I used images of food (some may not all be fertilized by honeybees, but you get the idea) and turned them into honeybees to represent the idea that they are responsible for so many of our natural food resources.

Original Image: Hannaford Fresh Magazine, May/June 2010, pg. 8

Leslie